Anesthesia Malpractice in Illinois – What You Need To Know
Technological advances have made medical procedures painless and mostly stress-free. There’s a mistaken perception that surgery is the most dangerous part of any procedure; the truth, however, is that anesthesia administration and monitoring is perhaps more high risk than the surgical procedure itself. Anesthesia malpractice attorneys in Chicago often have to look into questions or suspicions of malpractice when a patient suffers complications after surgery in order to ensure that those responsible become accountable for their negligence and that nothing of this nature happens to others in the same or other Chicago surgery centers.
Are you looking for an anesthesia malpractice lawsuit attorney in Chicago? Contact our Illinois medical malpractice lawyers NOW at 1 (773) 825-3547 to learn more about your legal options for compensation. Our attorneys who handle medical malpractice cases in Illinois have more than 70 years of cumulative experience both in and out of the courtroom ready to help you get compensated if you suffered surgical complications due to anesthesia errors. Call 1 (773) 825-3547 NOW to speak with a medical malpractice lawyer in Chicago to find out what we can do for you in your quest for justice and compensation.
Anesthesia – No Room For Error
Anesthesiologists, as with any other medical doctors, are held to a certain standard of care which they must abide to in order to ensure patient safety. The contravention or disregard for this standard of care leading to patient injury makes them or the hospital as an entity liable for said patient injuries. When it comes to administering anesthesia, there is absolutely no room for error because of the dangerous nature of the procedure. Patients who were administered too much anesthesia, for example, have gone into comas never to wake up again, suffered brain damage or even paralysis.
Common reasons for anesthesia malpractice lawsuits in Illinois include:
- Failure to take a comprehensive medical history of the patient prior to surgery
- Failing to warn patients not to eat or drink before surgery as stomach contents may aspirate into the lungs causing severe complications
- Using defective equipment that is either outdated or poorly maintained
- Improper calibration of equipment used in anesthesia
- Negligent administration where an anesthesiologist administered too much of the substance or not asking if the patient may have an allergy to anesthesia
- Failure to intubate patient properly
- Improper monitoring of a patient
- Vaporizer leakage leading to the delayed delivery of anesthesia
- Failure by nursing staff to properly respond to vital alarms
- Having the patient sedated for too long when compared to similar surgical procedures.
The vast number of anesthesia complications (46.6 percent) was due to an overdose of anesthesia. This is followed by patients suffering adverse effects (42.5 percent) due to therapeutic anesthesia use. Fatalities with regard to anesthesia administration are rare. That being said, anesthesia complications can be long-standing, lasting years, or they may be permanent in the case of brain damage.
Compensation for Anesthesia Malpractice – Call Us Now!
Anesthesia lawsuit settlements can range, but a figure of upwards of $1,000,000 is reasonable, and this may rise to up to $4,000,000 depending on the nature of the complications, damages, amount in legal fees and the impact of the injuries to the patient’s life going forward. If you or a loved one suffered anesthesia complications, we’d like to help. Call our Chicago anesthesia lawsuit attorneys at 1 (773) 825-3547 to learn more about what we can do for you. Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.