Can I Sue for Police Brutality?

The police are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that people in the community, young and old, are kept safe from undesirable elements. They form an important part of the community, and for the most part, they are accorded respect. That being said, policemen are human, and some get into the force to exact their sadistic plans on an unsuspecting public.

The police have been in the news over the last couple of years for overstepping their boundaries and using excessive and unnecessary force. This is something that we’ve seen in areas such as Ferguson and Baltimore, and many other urban as well as suburban areas all over the country.

Here are some examples of police brutality:

  • Continuing to use lethal force even when the suspect has been subdued
  • Dragging a suspect across the ground
  • Not heeding to a suspect’s cries of pain and discomfort leading to serious injuries
  • Strip searches that are degrading
  • Sexual assault
  • Using their power to coerce or blackmail a suspect into doing something
  • Racial profiling

We’ve all been advised not to resist when in the arms of a police officer. However, it is not right for a policeman to continue to use force when one has stopped resisting, nor is it fair for them to restrain you in such a manner that it is virtually impossible for you to brace yourself from a fall on the hard concrete, even when seated on the curb.

Legal Help for Police Brutality Cases

In these types of police brutality cases, evidence is everything. You want to make sure to tell anyone who might have been in the vicinity to take lots of pictures as well as collect the contact information of various witnesses. In addition, seeking medical attention shortly after your arrest will put some weight on your case and make it that much easier to file a lawsuit, and contacting a police misconduct lawyer on the same day will help jumpstart your case. If you’ve suffered injuries from police mistreatment, you may be able to file a lawsuit. Please call us today on (773) 673-9861 for your free and confidential consultation.