Property owners are legally obligated to provide you with adequate security when you’re at their premises at all times. This is something many people aren’t aware of until they become victims of assault leading to injury on someone else’s property. The legal construct of inadequate security and premises liability can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve shortly after.
Inadequate security encompasses many things:
- Poor lighting in areas such as stairwells and parking lots
- Lack of security cameras
- Lack of trained security personnel
- Poor training of security personnel
- Not responding in a timely manner to a request for help
- Lack of clear warnings with regard to potential problem areas
- Disabled or poorly functioning security cameras
- Lack of a clear emergency exit
- Poor control of keys to vital areas in the building
- Not removing troublemakers or suspicious individuals in a timely manner
In order to establish negligence in a premises liability case, we will have to ask a few key questions. For example, do the premises have a history of security incidents? This can show that the property owner has in the past behaved in a negligent manner. In addition, has the property owner been asked in the past to fix things like nonfunctional doors and shattered windows but never did? These can provide easy access to criminals who then go on to injure patrons. Our duty as a law firm will be to investigate all these issues with our security experts. We will also obtain a court summons to make the property owner provide us with security footage, interview any witnesses and employees, all in an effort to get to the root of the incident.
Here are some of the requirements needed to file a premises liability claim:
- You were invited to be on the property as an authorized guest
- The property owner was obligated to maintain an environment that was reasonably safe
- You were not protected by the owner from foreseeable violence or criminal acts
- Had proper security measures been taken, the crime wouldn’t have occurred
- You sustained injuries/damages on account of the assault.
If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, please contact us today on 877-561-3004 for your free, no-commitment and confidential consultation. Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.