Carbon monoxide is an invisible but deadly gas which can cause a host of physical symptoms and even death if it is not detected in a timely manner. During the cold winter months in most states, every house depends on a heater, furnace, wood burning stove or fireplace to keep warm. The combustion of organic matter in enclosed places that lack a lot of oxygen results in the production of carbon monoxide. This can be an insidious danger to many of us, especially if there is negligence involved.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are frequently confused with other conditions:
- Personality changes
- Chest pain
- Flu-like symptoms
- Muscle weakness
Premises Liability and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
If you live in an apartment, it is the landlord or super’s duty to ensure that the carbon monoxide detector is always working as it should. This means changing the filters regularly, and acquiescing to requests by tenants to have them checked. Should there be a carbon monoxide leak, these tend to go off so that the situation is remedied in a timely manner. If you suffered carbon monoxide exposure due to a poorly maintained detector, you may be able to file a premises liability lawsuit.
Product Liability Cases
Carbon monoxide filters are required to be made with care during the manufacturing process. They usually go through quality control checks, and are given a stamp of approval before they leave the factory for retail stores across the country. If your detector never went off during a carbon monoxide leak, it may be wise to hire an injury attorney so you can look at filing a product liability lawsuit targeting the manufacturer.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious matter because it may lead to serious side-effects such as strokes, heart attacks and even paralysis. If this happened to you, you should consider filing a product and premises liability lawsuit to help you with your medical bills as well as pain and suffering. Please give us a call today on 877-561-3004 and we’ll help you get compensated as well as send a word out to the manufacturers of these devices as well as any landlords on the dangers of being negligent with people’s lives. Thanks for choosing us, and we look forward to hearing from you.