Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups cake flour, well-sifted
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red gel-paste food color
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together cake flour, cocoa, and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the sugar and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated. Mix in food color and vanilla.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and mixing well after each addition.
4. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam); add mixture to the batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds.
5. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the centers are set and spring back when touched.
6. To make the frosting beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed. Then turn the speed to low and slowly add the sugar 1 cup at a time. Then add the vanilla. Beat until totally smooth.