Porter County Premises Liability Lawyer

Most of us spend at least a little time outside of our homes or apartments every day. We go to work, buy groceries, and go to the gym, entering and exiting other people’s property numerous times a day. Therefore, it should not be surprising that sometimes accidents happen while on someone else’s property.

If you suffered an injury on someone else’s property, you may be wondering who is responsible. A Porter County premises liability lawyer can help answer your questions. A compassionate attorney could review your accident and advise you on what to do next. They could also represent you in any legal proceedings if you wish to file a claim to recover compensation.

Types of Visitors for Premises Liability Purposes

The concept of premises liability is generally based on the idea that a landowner is responsible for any foreseeable damage or injuries sustained by another individual on their land. Usually, courts categorize anyone who visits or accesses another person’s property into one of three groups:

  • Invitee – explicitly invited by the property owner
  • Licensee –enters the property owner’s land with permission
  • Trespasser –enters the property owner’s land without permission

Generally, a property owner has different obligations to a visitor depending on whether they are an invitee, a licensee, or a trespasser. With respect to an invitee, a landowner must exercise reasonable care to make the property safe, including warning them about any hidden dangers. Common injuries for invitees are from slip and fall accidents.

However, with respect to a licensee, a landowner only has the obligation to refrain from injuring them or making the property more dangerous. Finally, a landowner has no general obligation to a trespasser outside of the duty to avoid intentionally injuring them.

Anyone wondering what their status as a visitor to someone else’s property was may benefit from contacting a Porter County premises liability lawyer. Such lawyers may be able to provide specific advice on whether an individual was an invitee, a licensee, or a trespasser at the time of their accident.

Filing a Claim in Porter County

In Indiana, individuals who were involved in an accident on another person’s property have up to two years to file a civil lawsuit for damages, according to Indiana Code §34-11-2-4. This two-year statute of limitations period applies to both physical injuries and any personal property damage.

A potential plaintiff may be able to collect both economic and non-economic damages in a civil lawsuit. Economic damages generally refer to costs and expenses, such as those due to medical care. Non-economic damages refer to those due to pain and suffering, mental, and physical anguish.

A Porter County premises liability lawyer may be able to help individuals file lawsuits based on premises liability and sort through the different types of damages that apply in a given case.

Porter County Premises Liability Attorney Can Assist

If you suffered an injury on someone else’s property, you may have questions. You may be wondering whether the property owner is responsible and if you have to pay for your medical expenses. For a consultation that could answer these questions, contact a Porter County premises liability lawyer.

A lawyer could review your accident or injury and advise you on the possibility of obtaining compensation for any out-of-pocket expenses as well as provide information regarding civil lawsuits and filing a legal claim. Lastly, they may be able to represent you in court to help you collect damages. If you have had an accident on another person’s property, be sure you are aware of your rights. Call a premises liability attorney in Porter County today.