New Developments in Talc Powder Cancer Lawsuits for 2018

Drug Injury

Talc, also known as talcum powder has been used for generations by women as part of their intimate hygiene routine. This is a soft, sweet-smelling powder which works by absorbing moisture as well as odor, making it ideal for individuals who may suffer from excessive sweating or live in temperate areas. Talc is also used to keep babies dry after changing their diapers so they don’t get a rash. Johnson & Johnson manufactures the best-selling talc product, and has done so for over 70 years until news pertaining to the cancer-causing properties of this product broke in 2016.

Are you looking for a talc lawsuits attorney in Chicago, Illinois? Please give us a call today at (773) 673-9861 for more information on your legal options for compensation. If you suffered ovarian cancer, or any other health complication as a result of using talc for decades, you may be able to file a tort claim which will see you join thousands of other plaintiffs in multidistrict litigation. These cases have a time limit within which one must file, so the time to act is NOW. Call (773) 673-9861 to speak to a Talc lawyer in Illinois today.

How is Talc Made?

Talc is naturally mined in caves and refined before being packaged in bottles and shipped to consumers around the world. This is a very fine powder which bears a striking resemblance to asbestos with regard to texture and consistency. What most people don’t know is that talc is mined next to asbestos, allowing for cross-contamination.

Does Talc Give You Cancer?

The story about the talc ovarian cancer debacle harks back to the early 80’s when a Harvard physician did tests which showed a direct link between talc use and cancer occurrence. When the doctor decided to share this information with Johnson & Johnson, his report was largely ignored because it threatened the company’s profits.

Ovarian Cancer and Talc – Know The Facts

  1. It is estimated that women face a 2 percent chance of contracting ovarian cancer in their lifetime. However, this chance explodes to a horrifying 98 percent if they use talc for a number of years.
  2. It is estimated that 10,000 women die due to ovarian cancer complications every year.
  3. The median age for ovarian cancer occurrence is 62.
  4. Women are 50 percent more likely to die once they pass the 5 year mark if living with ovarian cancer.

It is alleged that Johnson & Johnson misrepresented the truth when it came to the likelihood of developing cancer. It failed in its duty to warn consumers and had a chance to do so for over 39 years, but still refused to place a warning on their product regarding cancer risk. It is no secret that asbestos causes mesothelioma, an aggressive and fatal cancer. The fact that asbestos was mined in and around the same place as talc means that contamination of talc was inevitable, regardless of any stringent manufacturing practices.

Talcum Powder Lawsuit Settlement Breaks Records

An LA judge awarded a woman $417 million after he found Johnson & Johnson guilty of failing to warn her and other talc users about the risk their product caused. In the suit, it is alleged Ms. Eva Echeverria used talc powder from the young age of 11 until her late 50’s. About a decade ago, her doctor excised a softball-sized tumor from her ovarian section after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Ms. Echevarria testified from hospital, stating that she never would have used talc if she had known about the cancer-causing effects of the product.

Ovarian Cancer Talcum Powder Lawsuits in 2018

If you suffered health complications including the development of cancer as a result of using Talc products manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, you may be entitled to financial compensation by way of a product liability lawsuit. These companies are required to not only manufacture their products while following stringent safety regulations, but they are also required to inform consumers about possible health risks by way of a notice plastered on the product or in the leaflet that comes with it if applicable. Failure to do so constitutes negligence and opens companies like Johnson & Johnson up to litigation.

Damages Associated With Ovarian Cancer Talcum Powder Lawsuits

You can receive a number of damages such as the cost of medical treatment encompassing past, present and future medical bills, lost wages due to not being able to work as a result of cancer or health complications, rehabilitation costs, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering and so much more.

How Long Does a Talcum Powder Lawsuit Take?

Talc lawsuits vary and they are dependent on the amount and type of evidence available, the schedule of the court and the number of similar lawsuits. Trials can last days, weeks or months. If you’d like more information on this, give us a call at (773) 673-9861 so we can talk about your specific legal circumstances.

Talcum Powder Lawyer in Chicago

Do you have an ovarian cancer talcum powder lawsuit? Please give us a call NOW at (773) 673-9861 to secure your right to legal compensation. Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.